Most people probably don’t even think about recycling their print cartridges, but did you know that regular toner cartridges (used in laser printers, copiers, and fax machines) are 40% plastic and each one needs 3.7 litres of oil to make? If that’s not enough to make you reconsider recycling your print cartridges, then take a look below at some of the reasons why it’s important to recycle print cartridges. At ComPro Business Solutions, we proudly offer a wide variety of quality high performance printers that use recycled print cartridges.
How Cartridges are Recycled
Most recycling companies that recycle cartridges have their own process, but here are the general basic steps for how a cartridge is broken down, recycled, and sold:
- Reputable cartridge recycling depots tend to sort cartridges based on certain criteria such as model number and the condition of the cartridge.
- During the inspecting stage of the recycling process, all cartridges are checked for damage then worn out components are removed and replaced with new working parts.
- Every single cartridge is rebuilt, filled with toner, and tested by hand for any malfunctions.
- Next, the cartridges are labeled and sealed in new packaging.
- Recycled cartridges are then sold to stores or online shops. Some manufacturers might even have their own recycling program where they construct recycled cartridges in-house and then sell them under their own brand. Recycled cartridges are more popularly known as remanufactured cartridges.
Keep the Cartridges Out of Our Landfills
Each year, over 300 million empty print cartridges end up in our landfills (the equivalency, in weight, to approximately 67, 612 Ford Explorers). It takes the average printer cartridge between 450-1000 years to break down, and, in that time, the chemicals from the print cartridges seep into the land and our water. This can easily be prevented by purchasing compatible and remanufactured cartridges, and by taking the time to recycle print cartridges.
Help Grow the Economy and Job Growth
The more cartridges that are recycled, the more local businesses can purchase and convert compatible, remanufactured, or re-filled cartridges. In turn, this means that more jobs will be created in order to keep up with the demand of recycled print cartridges. Keeping print cartridges out of our landfills can even help lower our taxes. As more and more small businesses begin selling affordable recycled print cartridges, manufacturer’s profits will decrease, causing a reduction in pricing.
Get Rewarded for Recycling Your Cartridges
There are two basic recycling programs for print cartridges today: you can either donate your empty print cartridges for a cash return, or you can donate them to non-profit organizations like schools or charity clubs raising money for a specific cause. Whichever way you choose to recycle your print cartridges, you can have the satisfaction of knowing that you made the best choice for our planet.
Recycling your print cartridges is as easy as understanding why it’s important to recycle print cartridges. If you’re interested in learning more about where you can recycle your print cartridges or where you can purchase remanufactured print cartridges, contact ComPro Business Solutions at 604-574-8623 today. At Compro Business Solutions, we offer a wide variety of products and services for all your business needs.